Do Roof Tiles Become More Porous Over Time?02 July 2019
Many homeowners are turning to terracotta or concrete roofing tiles for their roofs, while others fear that these tiles become more porous over the years. Since these materials start off with the ability to absorb water easily during their manufacturing process, it is not surprising that the latter group may think this way. With this being said, it is a mistaken belief. Some experts will tell you that you need to seal or re-seal these tiles to ensure that they do not absorb water, but before you just go along with this blindly, you need to educate yourself further on this topic.
The Pitch of the Roof Highly Influences the Drainage Ability of It
All roofs have a certain pitch even when they are considered ‘flat.’ This is to ensure that the water drains off the roof fast enough to minimise the roof tiles’ ability to absorb it. Also, you need to remember that there is a waterproof layer under the tiles to prevent water from seeping into the sheathing. The amount of water that concrete or terracotta tiles absorb is so low that it is not enough to damage the tiles or the structure of the house.
Concrete Tiles Become More Resilient With Time
After the installation of concrete roof tiles, the concrete keeps hardening due to exposure to the heat of the sun. This continuous hardening process makes the tiles less porous. For this reason and others, these tiles can last 50 years or more. You can choose from a wide variety of colours and profiles of concrete roofing tiles.
Terracotta Tiles May Outlast Your House
Terracotta has been used for centuries in roofing and other items due to its durable nature. It, like concrete, does not develop higher porosity over time. Roof tiles of terracotta come in many different profiles and colours. Terracotta tiles also have an expected lifespan of at least 50 years.
Choose a Quality Brand of Roof Tiles to Avoid Issues
For your protection, you need to select a reputable brand of roofing tiles to prevent any issues with excessive porosity since not all brands are of equal quality. In addition, hire an expert roofing company to install these tiles to guarantee that your entire roof is as it should be for years of wear.
To learn additional facts about if roof tiles become more porous over time, consult with Higgins Roofing. We provide expert workmanship with each roof that we work on, whether it is a new one, re-roofing job, roof restoration project, or roof extension. Also, we are an approved dealer for Monier™ brand of roofing tiles, which are superior to most other brands here in Australia.
- Monier Concrete Tile Roof Installation: Expectations on Concrete Roof Tiles
- Re-roofing Specialist Melbourne: What Sets Higgins Roofing Apart
- Monier Terracotta Roof Tiles: Where Traditional Roofing Meets Contemporary Design
- Monier Roofing Products: The Perfect Blend of Form and Function
- Monier Concrete Tile Roof Installer in Melbourne: Experience the Difference with Higgins Roofing
- Monier Shingle Roof Tiles: Transforming Urban Landscapes
- Monier Tile Roofing Supplied by Higgins Roofing: Better than Metal Roofing
- Concrete Roof Tiles Innovation: Improved Durability and Aesthetics
- The Importance of Choosing the Right Materials for Your Roof Restoration Project
- Roof Extension Installation: The Importance of Seamless Roofing System